As exhaustive as our morning skin care routines might be, they can easily take a turn for the worse if we ignore exfoliation. We often notice that our skin looks dry and flaky seconds after applying our morning moisturizer. Naturally, our first move is to get into a defensive mode and amp up on the moisturizer, but those patches simply refuse to go away. Only then do we remember, we missed out an essential skin care process – exfoliation! While you can get away with using the wrong product when it comes to body exfoliation, the skin on your face is extremely sensitive. This means that you need to get it right, and choose products that are the most effective for facial exfoliation. This guide from OROGOLD Cosmetics shows you how to exfoliate your face.
What to Use?
We recommend using an at-home deep peel when it comes to exfoliating your face. First off, peels deeply cleanse the skin, help to break up those whiteheads and dislodge the oil and dirt build-up in your pores. Secondly, they help in refining and smoothing the skin’s texture, leaving it looking supple and soft. They enhance the flow of blood to the face, giving a beautiful glow. And finally, proper exfoliation allows other skin care products to perform better, since their ingredients are able to travel deeper into the skin without any hindrance.
Still wondering how to exfoliate your face at home? Follow these simple steps and perfect your face exfoliation routine.
- Use a headband or a hair tie to hold your hair away from your face. You don’t want any hair falling into your face while exfoliating.
- Use your regular cleanser to remove makeup and cleanse your face. You might feel like skipping this step, but proper and effective exfoliation requires a fresh and clean face.
- Steaming your face works wonders while exfoliating. Although not essential, this step allows you to open up your pores and soften your facial skin, thereby making it more responsive to exfoliation.
- Use clean fingers to apply an at-home deep peel to your face.
- Gently rub the peel using small circular motions and continue the process until you cover the entire face. Remember, you need to be gentle. Don’t put pressure while exfoliating. Simply rub the product and let the exfoliants do their job.
- Rinse thoroughly using lukewarm or tepid water.
- Splash some cold water on your face to close the pores.
- Pat your face dry.
- Apply a hydrating moisturizer right after, while the skin is still moist.
Here are a few tips on how to properly exfoliate your face, so that you can get the best possible results without any burning or irritation.
- Make sure that you FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. Those instructions have been given for a reason. Irrespective of which brand you use, not following the instructions properly is the surest way to end up with all sorts of problems, ranging from skin irritation to red patches.
- Focus on dry patches.
- Always use gentle circular motions while exfoliating.
- Use a moisturizer right after exfoliating.
- The best time to exfoliate is in the morning. Since the skin repairs itself at night, mornings are the ideal time to scrub away all those dead cells.
- You don’t need to exfoliate your face more than once or twice a week. The frequency usually depends on the product you’re using.
- Don’t ignore the scalp. Exfoliating your scalp helps to minimize dandruff.
- Don’t forget lips either. You cannot use a deep peel on your lips, but there are a number of lip exfoliation treatments to choose from. For a simpler solution, simply apply some toothpaste to your lips and gently massage your lips using a toothbrush.
- If you suffer from fragile capillaries, apply a face oil before exfoliating your skin. This acts as an added level of protection for the skin.